Fort Lincoln, on the west bank of the Seco Creek a mile (sic.) north of DHanis in west central Medina County, was named for George Lincoln, who was killed in the battle of Buena Vista. Established on July 7, 1849, the fort occupied the site used the year before by Charles de Montel as headquarters for a company of Texas Rangers. The fort furnished protection for frontier settlements and was a post of escort and refuge for travel on the road from San Antonio to Fort Duncan. In 1851 the installation had buildings for two companies, a commissary store, a storehouse for company property, a storehouse for the quartermaster's depot, and a hospital. The temporary buildings were of logs or poles, with roofs of shingles, thatch, or tarpaulin. The fort was abandoned on July 20, 1852, after the frontier line had advanced westward. The buildings remained intact for some time, and Texas Rangers made headquarters at the site. The barracks were torn down and transformed into residences east of Seco Creek at D'Hanis when the property passed into private hands. On May 26, 1936, a dedication ceremony was held for the unveiling of a marker placed by the Texas Centennial Commission at the site.1
LOCATION: Fort Lincoln was located on the west side of FM 1796, 2 1/2 miles north of DHanis. This is now private property.
On December 12, 1874, the eight soldiers who had been buried at Fort Lincoln were reinterred in four shared graves in Section C at San Antonio National Cemetery, 517 Paso Hondo Street, San Antonio, TX.
NOTE: The following tombstone inscriptions were copied word for word, line for line. Tombstones identifying more than one grave are identified by a hyphen (1-2). Underlined information is relative to all graves or burials sharing a common tombstone. FS signifies footstone. A slash (/) indicates the end of a line. Information in italics (italics ) represents comments or observations made by the transcriber or are from other sources as noted.
Compiled by the Medina County Tombstone Inscription Project, Jim Menke, Coordinator, in cooperation with the Castro Colonies Heritage Association, Historical Research Committee. (2001)
1 Arrie Barrett, Federal Military Outposts in Texas, 1846-1861 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1927): Monuments Erected . . . To Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence (1939).
2 33 Years Among Our Wild Indians by Col. Richard Irving Dodge..
TXGenWeb, Medina County - Fort Lincoln Military Cemetery (MCTIP) updated on 01/12/2012
Questions or problems regarding this web site should be directed to the TXGenWeb coordinator for Medina County, Margaret Meyer Simpson. This page may not be reproduced for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Files may be printed or copied for personal use only. Copyright 2005-2012.